Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Wonderful Thing

Every summer the grand kids go to church camp. This year is no exception. There is one thing different however, this year they attend at different times. Morgan is in camp this week. It is called Kids Camp and her older brother doesn't fit the category anymore. So week after next he attends youth camp. And this is just a forerunner of things to come. In the fall he goes to middle school. But let's not rush things.
Each year the church camp has a central theme. Well, a theme other than the obvious. On the last day we will attend the closing ceremonies. The theme will be explained and all the activities that have taken place demonstrated. It is always a wonderful time. The children are all ready to return home and filled with the spirit of fellowship. Autographs will be signed on tee shirts by fellow campers and staff members. Tearful goodbyes. Having never attended a camp of any kind myself, I can only imagine the memories they must carry. I expect they will carry those memories and experiences their entire lives. A little jealousy creeps in. It is human nature to want to be a part of it, to belong.
I am curious to hear about the youth camp. That will be a new experience for Mark and myself. I expect it will be conducted much the same, only on a more adult level. That seems strange, an adult level, when speaking of Grandchildren. Surely I'm aging quickly.I sure hope he enjoys it as much as he has in the past. I'm sure there will be ample time for play as well as serious study. Mark has little trouble with academic endeavors and is a quick study. Mark can be a bit pious on occasion.
I think it is a wonderful thing that the kids get to attend every year. It is great for their development. Truly they have wonderful parents. I have to take some credit for that and can be justly proud. ( patting himself on the back as he writes ) Seriously though, they work hard to provide the grandchildren with all the necessities and so much more. They are willing to make sacrifices to provide them with the extras, and be supportive of them. Through them I can view a brighter future. A world where equality and justice does prevail. And in them, the continuance of a Christian nation. The complexion of the nation may change over time but it's core values must never change. I can rest assured my nation and my God are in good hands. It's a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment