Saturday, June 9, 2012

Risk and Reward

I hear where the NFL players are filing a suit against the league. They claim the NFL deceived them and withheld information about repeat concussions and the possible results. They are seeking compensation.
Well, I have thought about this and reached a few conclusions.
First let me say I like sports as much as the next guy. I've had a few sporting heroes in my time. They have provided me with countless hours of entertainment. They can be role models and contribute greatly to society. What they do is hard work. And it takes years of dedication to achieve their level of proficiency That being said,let us not lose sight of one important thing, They are playing a game.
The majority of these players have been to college. The majority of these people hold a degree. And now these people would have me believe they didn't know that repeatedly receiving concussions could be detrimental to your future health. They are trying to say the league should have told them more and done something to prevent it. I find that hard to believe. Guess none of them ever heard of a boxer becoming punch drunk either. Same thing.
To me it is a matter of risk and reward. Should you chose to "play the game" for the money or the glory you have to accept the risk involved. If you are not willing to accept that risk,don't play. One reason I don't go skydiving, I'm not taking the risk !
It is my belief that you do not reach this level of play without being dedicated to the game. You don't just become a professional athlete. Along the way I'm certain you would have learned something about the risk involved. I am not convinced that you can get that far totally unaware. So just whose fault is it ? Could be there is no one at fault here. If you chose to play that is your choice. You don't have to play the game.
Take your college education and go elsewhere. If I determined that my"job" was too risky I would just find another.
I will say it is unfortunate for those suffering from these concussions. You can't help but feel bad for them. I wish them all the best. Still to me it is no different than when a professional race car driver gets killed, it's a risk. Should Barnum and Bailey Circus be held accountable if a person falls from the high wire ? If they want the reward the risk comes with it.
The base salary for a rookie in the NFL is currently 375,000 dollars. How much risk would you be willing to take for that kind  of money ? Keep in mind that you are just playing a game. Doing something that you have been doing since childhood. Doing something that you obviously enjoy a great deal. From my point of view you have got it pretty good. And you don't even work all year. I can't see where you have much to complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment