Friday, June 15, 2012

An honest mistake

With the ending of the school year other activities end too. Little league is over. And the Girl Scout troop is done for this year. The troop that my grand daughter belongs too had one last group activity last weekend. They attended a gathering of Girl Scouts from all over the country in Washington,D.C. Estimates put the number at 200,000. All these girls converged on the Mall. They sang songs,viewed the monuments,went to the museums and had a great time. The weather was very hot. The D.C. fire department sprayed a mist of water over the crowds. All went well and everyone returned home safe and sound.
A funny little anecdote accompanies this story. Now my Grand daughter had been talking about this event for weeks beforehand. The event was called, " Rock the Mall." I believe it was to coincide with Juliet Lows' forming the Girl Scouts. She was very excited about it. She was helping her Mom do 31 shows to make a few dollars. She was saving her money. The troop leader had given the girls a list of items they would need to take with them. Of course she waited until the last minute to start assembling that. It was during that time that she discovered that " Rock the Mall " was not a shopping trip to a mall in Washington,D.C. ! You should have seen the look on her face. Priceless. I'm certain next time she will pay more attention to what is being said. She went of course and had a wonderful time. She did ask me just why do they call that area the mall ? I had no answer for her. Oh,I should tell you Morgan loves the mall. She just loves going with Mommy to the mall.
This little misunderstanding of terms made me think of that old Art Linkletter show,kids say the darnedest things. It was a honest mistake though. Another little " kids " thing comes to mind. I was watching television with my grandson. The show involved some celebrity that was being bothered by the paparazzi. Mark says that must be really annoying. I told him that when Elvis, he knows about Elvis from Grandma, wanted to see the latest movie he had to rent the whole movie theater. Mark then says to me, didn't Elvis know about blu-ray or netflix ! I had to chuckle and say no. I guess life would have been different for Elvis if that technology had been available.
It is these little things that make the grand kids so enjoyable. Quick minds and curious. They are at the age where you can start to really communicate with them. To have more meaningful discussions. And just when you think they are growing up too fast they drop these little bombs. Gotta love it. Honest mistakes and a little naive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment