Friday, June 1, 2012

High Hopes

Yesterday I formed a sub group on the social network,Facebook. Greensboro Connections. A group dedicated  to those that live in Greensboro.I had joined in a group a year or so ago that is dedicated to my hometown. I thoroughly enjoy the conversations on that site. I also enjoy the sharing of pictures and sharing the memories. As those of you that have been following my blog are aware, I have joined the historical society here in Greensboro. I am currently gathering information for a book we are going to publish. My area is the military veterans. I am hoping to elicit help through this site. Yes, there are motives for my actions.
I have found the internet and all those resources an invaluable tool. One can gather the facts. But,to me, the interesting part of history is akin to Paul Harvey and the rest of the story. I want to know who served but I want to know more. Was he/she married ? Children ? What did they do prior to their service and what did they do after. What is the rest of the story ?
It is this group I'm hoping can fill in the blanks. It takes a town to tell the complete story. History books and records can not do that. I haven't lived here long enough to have sufficient connections. This social network has great potential in that regard. I often write about the past and get all nostalgic. I sometimes lament about this modern world. But there are positive points in progress. The secret lies in knowing how to apply whatever resources become available. We often think handmade is superior but there is something to be said for machine work.
I'm hoping to use the tech of today to preserve the memories of yesterday. I'm certainly not the first to try that. Has it not always been so. At first we just drew pictures pictures on the walls. We moved on to writing and photography. But now we have available a collective memory and a way to share that memory. It is an exciting thing,this compiling of information. My hopes are high.

No comments:

Post a Comment