Friday, June 8, 2012

Being Distracted

There has been more talk in the news about distracted driving. A call is going out to the auto industry to reduce the number of distracting devices available in your automobiles. Hands free telephones,entertainment systems,gps navigation and video players to name a few. Another attempt by the government to legislate common sense. I've written about it before but I just can't believe it. How is it possible we elect these officials,pay them large amounts of money and this is the best they can do ! It certainly doesn't speak well of us or them.
This latest hue and cry calls for civil penalties for distracted driving. If you are deemed to have been distracted while driving you can be held accountable. Yeah, I can only imagine where that might lead. The obvious one is texting or talking on the phone but what about your children ? If they start to cry and you are distracted are you held accountable ? And what if siblings should begin quarreling with each other ? Unlikely I know. LOL
The federal government has determined that talking on the phone and texting is distracting. They also mentioned eating and drinking and talking to other passengers. Well,duh. I'm so happy the federal government keeps me informed of such things.
So the thing is the government is trying to prevent accidents. A noble cause. One worth trying but I can't say the method makes any sense. Is the answer to just penalize those that don't use common sense ? Fine the idiots ? Guess there is little else we can do.
I don't know, I guess I'm just getting old. I read and hear about all the trouble and problems in the world. I see the average working man struggling to get by. Financial markets in crisis. And the Feds are concerned with distracted driving. Just a thought but maybe the Feds are a bit distracted too. A little more concern for major problems and a little less trying to legislate common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment