Monday, June 25, 2012

Earning Respect

Turning on the computer yesterday I was smacked in the face ! There was an article on my facebook page about this " artist " opening a gallery in my hometown. His exhibit consisted of defaced American Flags ! One  was even flying from a flagpole outside the gallery. A picture had been posted and I stared at it in disbelief.
There were many comments following this and none of them were supportive. That was the up side, at least I knew I was not alone in my feelings. And my initial reaction was anger. I immediately added my comments to the bunch. From there I went to this gallery's website and left some strong commentary.As this situation unfolded my emotions ran the gamut. Anger, indignation, righteousness and just plain sorrow.
Later in the day that flag was taken down by the gallery. Whether in response to the outcry of anger or fear that it would be destroyed, I do not know. I admit to having thoughts of doing just that !
There was much discussion about this. We all agreed and understand it is the artists' right under the first amendment. It is because of the freedom that flag represents that this can happen without civil penalty. What none of us could comprehend is, why. Why would you take our National Flag deface it ? And then try to justify those very actions by calling it art ? Can this artist be so totally unaware and out of touch with main street America ?
Memories came flooding back to me from the sixties. It was then that some of the " hippies " started wearing the flag as an article of clothing. I didn't like it then and still don't. The Supreme court ruled that it was allowed under  the first amendment. It is not a crime. Since that time I have seen the flag used for everything. I've even seen flags used in those folding chairs as the seat. Head scarves and tee shirts. I still frown and moan each time I see that. I try to the best of my ability to follow the flag code as adopted by our government. Note that it is a code and not law. We are making laws for everything else though.
I did read one comment in all this that took me by surprise. One person says, you cannot make respect a law. Respect must be earned and given freely. I understand that sentiment but disagree about making laws to protect it. Respect is due to our national ensign. That respect was " earned " by the blood and the sacrifice of those defending her. You would certainly face criminal penalties for defacing any of our national monuments. Chip off a piece of the Lincoln memorial and see what happens. Does not our Flag deserve the same protection ? The Supreme court says no.
In the final analyses this whole event leaves me both angry and sad. Anger at those that would do this and anger at those that would support that right. The sadness comes from watching the disintegration of America as I know and love her. She is being torn down by greed and self indulgence. Did we learn nothing from the toppling of the twin towers ? Has that lesson been forgotten ? Had this " artist " displayed this " artwork " then would the reaction have been the same ? All I can say is this, I will always respect the flag and what she stands for. I will say the Pledge of Allegiance. And as Lee Greenwood so aptly put it, I'd gladly stand up and defend her still today, cause there ain't no doubt I love this land, God Bless the U.S.A.

2 comments:

  1. Don't let the pissants get to you. As a veteran I respect your feelings about the flag. Every trip to the DFW National cemetery would be instructive for such folks but useless; the flags fly regularly; it's quite a sight especially on the holidays. Their right to desecrate the flag is what all those graves with all those flags represent; its all about representation not respect for a banner. The banner simply serves a tangible reminder of the history, the sacrifice , the meaning of the country and the people that the flag represents. You can hold my flag in contempt but not my country; that is the meaning of your feelings. That is what makes your military "service" honorable. Upholding the oath to the Constitution is what it is about; what represents our country that these people are so contemptuous of. The history of the US flag is quite interesting; actually it is based on the British East India company flag. Representation is what it about. Maybe these fools are contemptuous of that BEI flag ??? They certainly are not in sync with what it represents today; the ideals of the American Revolution. It is particularly odious that they would display their travesty in EH with its colonial history; maybe they want the British back !!! Keep on writing your "feelings"; it matters not whether I or anyone agrees; you remain an honest man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification due; my first sentence implies I am a veteran - I am not; it should have read "I respect your feeling as a veteran about the flag".

    ReplyDelete