Saturday, June 30, 2012

Patriot

Starting with the art controversy regarding the flag and then a few posts following that I've been thinking about patriotism and being an American. I am indeed fortunate to have been born an American. One can read  and even see in the news what being born and living elsewhere can mean. A short study will reveal just why so many immigrate, either legally or illegally to this land. The expression, but for the grace of God, comes to the forefront. I think the really tough question is, what is an American ? How to define that. It is much more than one living in America. Being an American means embracing certain values and ideals. It means living those same principles in your everyday life. The defining of those values and ideals is the difficult part. There is much discussion and debate about those very concepts. The main one being, to live free.
But living free does not relieve one of an obligation. The obligation to live those ideals and principles that give you that very freedom. At least in my opinion, that does not mean you are free to do whatever you please.
I hear much talk of my "freedom of speech " and that right. As with the exercising of any right it does require discretion and tact. If " freedom of speech " is to be translated literally than racial slurs, slander and verbally bullying is protected under that right. I can say whatever I want, to whomever I want, without consequence. I believe we all agree that is not the case nor the intention of the founding fathers.
Another cornerstone of being an American is the ability to exercise our right to vote. The vote was to end the arguments. A case can be made for practically any point of view. A skilled orator can present just about anything in a positive light. The only real way to end the argument and discussion is by vote. Majority wins. The acceptance of that decision is the mark of a true American. Difficult when you are the minority. But a necessity and an obligation.
And I would add one thing of my own. I question why anyone would want to add the tag African,Italian, Latin or any other category prior to American ! An American is an American first and foremost. I myself come from German and Swedish descent. I don't call myself a German American or a Swedish American, no, I am an American. When one immigrates to a country does that not not mean you desire to be a citizen of that nation ? To adopt that title and identity ? One can be proud of their heritage that goes without question, but why this designation ? I'm not a New York American or a Arizona American, I'm an American.
Yes the difficulty lies in the definition. I am an American and this is my America. My definition doesn't necessarily agree with yours. Is it possible to write down an ideal. Probably not. Jefferson and others have come close. But even those words continue to be interpreted. Just what do they mean ? Well .to me Freedom doesn't mean I get everything I want my way. It does not mean I can do whatever I feel like and justify my actions under the guise of Freedom. With freedom comes responsibility. That responsibly is exercised with my vote and perhaps more importantly, my actions. Freedom is not gained by the imposition of will but by the actions of the heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment