Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Risk It ?

I recently saw a posting regarding spanking your children. Man did that bring back memories. Yes, I am in favor of corporal punishment, although my Dad spanked like a general ! In retrospect I can see where it did no harm. Of course I wasn't beaten and bruised. Scared more than anything else. But the lesson became crystal clear. These were the rules. To violate the rules was to risk punishment. Really no risk at all because punishment was certain and swift. And it was an effective deterrent. So effective in fact that it was not used routinely. Not all crimes were punished in this fashion only the most severe infraction would bring down this wrath. It was to be avoided. There was no appeal and no excuses.
When I got older there were other measures. Now a days they call it time out. Dad just called it, sit in that chair ! No tv,books or games. Just sit there and think about what you have done. It could last for hours depending upon how busy Dad was. He was the only one that could release you. If he went outside to work on his boat or something it could be a long time. And then, when he remembered you were there,he would invariably ask, do you know what you did wrong ? You had best have the answer he wanted to hear or further thinking on your part would follow. You might be grounded too.
I think a lot of what is wrong in this country right now could be fixed by applying the same rules as Dad used. If you do wrong, you are punished. Immediately without excuses or appeals. Following the punishment if you could show just cause you may get an "alright " but don't do that again. Never an, I'm sorry though just an " alright." If the criminals knew,the same way I knew, that punishment awaits as certain as death they would certainly think twice. Do this and this is the result. Certain,swift and without malice. I' even say the same thing Dad always said just before administering the punishment, " this is going to hurt me more than you,but it is for your own good. " Or maybe," you'll thank me for this someday. " Well as to the hurting part I still have doubts about that. My butt sure did sting. As to the thanking him I never did that directly but have many times over in my heart. He taught me right from wrong and to be a man. Do the crime and take the consequences along with it. Risk and reward. Rewards aren't always a good thing !

No comments:

Post a Comment