Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Choosing a path

Last night my Grand son Mark officially became a member of the Caroline County Historical Society. The Greensboro chapter. He is our youngest  member to date. Presently he is studying to become Docent of our 17th century cabin. He does have a keen mind and is a quick study. I hope his interest in the past remains with him.
At last nights meeting we had entertainment. A gentleman named Dan Cain spoke of the history of his occupation and gave a demonstration. He is a mentalist ! Please do not confuse that with magic,he repeatedly implored us, I am a thought reader. It was a fascinating evening. He even taught us a trick or two about mind reading. He showed us how to levitate and make a nickel appear inside a bottle off water. Good tricks if practiced enough to do the illusion. I need a lot more practice. Exactly how he "read our mind " he wouldn't reveal after all it is his living.
Today is the last day of elementary school for Mark. It is also the day he plays his last little league ball game for this season. So last night was a beginning and today we have endings. The cycle continues unchanged. Doors opening and closing. There is much for Mark to look forward too and much to be remembered. The future is built upon the past and Mark is building a solid foundation.
As a Grandfather I couldn't be more pleased. I can see us attending the historical society meeting together for years to come. It is with a mixture of pride and sadness I watch this progress. I want to see him go forward, while staying with me. We want our children and grandchildren to grow and find their own path in the world,all the while wishing they will stay. The proverbial having your cake and eating it too syndrome.
The elementary phase is ended. A new beginning and a new path. It is fitting that his new beginning begin with a link to the past. I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with him. I hope he takes me along. I may not know where this path will lead him, but I can help identify some of the potholes and ruts along the way. It is always good to have a partner when you travel.
Mark with Mr. Gale Nashold president of the Greensboro Chapter of the Caroline County Historical Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment