Thursday, December 23, 2010

Traditions

Christmas traditions. We all have unique Christmas traditions that we learned from our parents. Rituals performed,if only in our minds,that give us comfort and joy. Maybe there is one particular ornament that always goes on the tree first or a silent prayer said.
Growing up we always had a yule log. Made from a fresh cut white Birch tree and fresh greens. It would be lit on Christmas day; at least for a few hours. When I manage to get the materials I still make one. Sadly this year I did not. This tradition came from my Grandmother who was Swedish. We always put up the tree and decorated it together as a family. My wives family however did not do this. After the kids went to bed her parents put up the tree and decorated it Christmas Eve. She tells of waking up to see the tree ! Sounds like a wonderful tradition.
In our stockings we always got a big Orange in the toe. I asked my Mom about this once and she told me this. When I was little Oranges were only available during the winter months and were quite expensive. It was a real treat to have one and special. My brothers and sisters all got oranges every Christmas. Every year we put a can of Schaefer beer in the toe of my fathers stocking.
This year I had the Grand kids decorate the tree with handmade ornaments. They made a  paper chain and strung popcorn. A couple of tin foil stars and a few ornaments of their own design. My wife crocheted some tiny stockings and a few Angels. We did use my traditional Angel for the tree topper. I thought I had better do that this year as soon they will be too old for such things. I also like the larger lights with a few of the bubble lights scattered in.
The Wifes' Crocheted Angel
I have mentioned it before but my firmest tradition is listening to the Christmas Tree. I do that every year on Christmas Eve. I do it alone with all other lights off except the tree. I may listen for a few minutes or an hour depending. Some years,when I was in the Navy,I was away from home. I still managed this tradition although I may not have been alone and it wasn't my tree exactly. No matter the tree will speak to you anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely traditions-all of them! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete