Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Celebrating

New Years Eve has never been a big deal to me. When I was young I would stay up and watch Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians. After that it was Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve. I don't recall ever going to a formal party. It just wasn't a holiday to me. My parents didn't go out,at least when I was young,maybe prior to us kids they did. At midnight we would say Happy New Year and that was about it.
Even after I was married we just never went out. We always preferred to stay at home. Too many people out there partying and driving for me. It is always risky business but New Years Eve is just asking for it.
I do think that situation has improved over the years so we are making progress. Not that I'm against having a cocktail or two. If that is what you want go for it ! Its' just that I'm past that stage in life. Like Hank Jr. said,the headaches hurt more than they used too.
The last few years I see a rise in fireworks for this occasion. I wonder when that tradition started ?  I don't remember them being used for New Years. Not a bad idea. When I moved here to the Eastern Shore of Maryland my neighbor told me for New Years you were supposed to shoot every gun you owned at midnight. He Did ! Told me it was for good luck in the new Year. My wife insists you eat sauerkraut on New Years day to bring you wealth. I eat it every year but am still waiting for it to kick in. Maybe in 2011.
My mother would clean house saying what your house looked like on New Years Day was what it would look like the rest of the year. My home did. My Mom is a good housekeeper.
My New Year will be a quiet one. We will set out a few snacks and try to wait for midnight. Some years we don't make it. Probably watch some of those year in review shows and a little bit of Dick Clark, who is doing that now ? Know it changed because Dick finally started to age just a little though. No shooting guns here,don't own one. Threw confetti one year and didn't get it all up until spring. Not doing that again.
Whatever your plans and traditions enjoy the night. Be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment