Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Lights

Strings of colored lights say only one thing;Christmas ! Isn't it something how one thing can define a season so completely. Whether hanging from the eaves of our houses or wrapped around a pine tree nothing says Christmas like a string of colored lights. The clear white lights enjoy some popularity during this season but can be seen virtually year round adding ambiance to a variety of settings.
I always enjoyed the large,light bulb sized ones,that would be strung across the streets in town. I always use the larger size on my tree. Now we have the more eco friendly led bulbs that put off a much softer glow. I don't care for them as much,guess I'm a traditionalist. I really don't care for the flashing and running light settings either. Turn them on and let them glow Baby,thats' my motto.
I see lights beginning to be used for other holidays like Halloween and Easter but it isn't the same. To me it just doesn't impart that holiday feeling like those colored lights. All things in moderation and if you start using the lights too much it ruins the novelty effect.
I'm not certain just what it is about those colored lights that pleases me so. I suspect that it must be a subconcious thing. Perhaps it brings back memories of early childhood Christmases. It could be an association thing,colored lights equal good times. Whatever the case I enjoy my colored lights and they are the symbol that the holiday season is here !

No comments:

Post a Comment