Thursday, December 16, 2010

First Snow

The weather report is predicting snow ! It has been very cold here in Greensboro for the last several days. That in and of itself  is not too bad except it has been accompanied by wind. The wind chill has kept it in the single digits.
The predicted snow is not very significant as it is only a few inches but it is our first of the season. I'll be working at the grocery today and all I will hear today is snow. The bread,eggs,milk and toliet paper will be flying off the shelf. It should prove to be an interesting day. I expect we will be putting out the snow shovels and ice melt as well.
I am always puzzled by the frenzy to buy large quanaties of the aforementioned items. The forecast is for a few inches,not a few feet. This event will not effect travel past a few hours. Yet I see people buying enough to last a month. I can understand extra bread and milk but the one that really puzzles me is the toliet paper !
What makes you believe you are going to need an excessive amount of this commodity ? Is their a biological change in your system during a snow event ? If stuck inside the house do you intend to frequent a certain room more often ? I just don't get it. My consumption of this product stays fairly level throughout the year,except when the grandkids arrive then there is a spike in usage !
I get far more concerned if they predict an ice event. Icing causes the power outages that concern me. I have electric heat ! I do not have a fireplace or own a kerosene heater. My kitchen stove is electric as well. I certainly hope we do not get an ice event !
Today the conversation will be about the weather. It is usually the topic most frequently mentioned but today that is about all I will hear. I will get tired of it by midday. People will get an almost frenzied approach to shopping. It is almost as though they feel they will be snowed in at the store. All checkout lines will be open.
Once the ground is completely covered the intensity to shop will increase.
It is the first snow predicted this year. Christmas is only 9 days away. I'm dreaming of a White Christmas !

1 comment:

  1. I always wonder the same thing when I see people stripping the shelves before any kind of storm. Do they think they'll be cut off for weeks???

    ReplyDelete