Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hanging Out !

I have two Grandkids that live right down the road from me and I get to enjoy their company all the time. Sometimes it feels like my wife and I are raising them. Not a bad thing ! Like a second chance to correct mistakes made with our own,kinda a do over.
We had twin boys but got one of each flavor with Grandchildren. The girl is the youngest. Morgan is a girly girl. A new experience for us dealing with a little girl. Boys we are used to. As I said Morgan is a real girly girl always fusing with clothes,her hair,what makeup is allowed and being a social butterfly. She has many friends from School,ballet and Girl Scouts. Yesterday she had a sleepover at a friends house. This occurs a lot with her. This leaves her brother alone. He has friends but none live in the neighborhood and they are still too young to ride bicycles to reach others houses.I always feel bad for him when this happens. Yesterday I spent the day with him and we had a sleepover.
There is enough snow left left on the ground so we built a snowman. We also threw some snowballs and slid down a hill made of plowed snow. Later we went to the store and purchased a copy of the orginal Karate Kid movie. I like to share the classics with him. I haven't seen the latest release of this film but almost always remakes disappoint. We are going to see the remake of True Grit however. I got tickets for that show for Christmas. He sleeps over a lot,they both do,so that part is no big deal. They love to sleep over and I'm grateful for that. Soon enough they will outgrow that.
When my own boys were growing up I was in the Navy and gone alot. I didn't get to spend the time doing things with them as much as I would have liked. Also when you do come home from a long deployment its' like someone visiting or a vacation. It takes a week or so for things to get back to normal . Now with Mark I have been with him or around him since his birth. We talk about everything,do everything and are best friends. Same with his sister. It is a new quasi-parenting experience. I'm loving it !
My other Grand daughter lives in New York state. We don't get to see her as often as we would like but pretty often. We talk to her on the phone and the computer sometimes. Naturaly we don't know her personality as well as the others. It is a lot tougher forging a relationship long distance. Maybe that will change over time as she gets older and we can talk more. In the movies and on TV she would just come and spend the summer with us and bond ! Wouldn't it be great if life were like TV ?
Without trying to be too sappy I just want to say Grandkids are the best. They are a reward for living this long I guess. It sure would be boring without them.

1 comment:

  1. They are indeed the best part of life. My children were blessed to live right next door to my parents and not far from their other grandparents so I know how special that is What a treat for you! Enjoy every moment - they will never forget any of them!

    ReplyDelete