Friday, December 3, 2010

Take a good look

The things we take for granted. These are the things we grew up with or around. To us they are everyday commonplace things that warrant only a passing interest. It must be ingrained in us humans to be fascinated by far away things and the fuel of our wanderlust.
I was reading a message from a friend that mentioned the windmills back home. This triggered a thought that it was funny to be discussing the windmills when in all probability the majority of people in our country have only seen them in pictures. I grew up with these windmills. Saw them everyday and paid little attention to them. Once a year when I was growing up they would put the sails on one and grind some corn to sell to the tourists. I did go see that once. The school would sometimes take the children for a tour.
One mill sat right in the fork of two major roads in town and in winter stood starkly against the sky. Another sat behind John Howard Paynes' house. Thats' right"Home Sweet Home". It sits next to the church I used to attend so I saw it often. As for "Home Sweet Home" saw that as well but never visited it until I was in my teens. Even then I didn't appreciate just what it was I was looking at. A third was a little father up town and was kind of tucked away out of sight. It was privately owned then but I understand it is open to the public now. This windmill, and a few others,were built by the Dominy family. Unless you are a clock enthusiast you probably won't recognize that name. They were famous clock makers but also cabinetmakers and builders.
I heard stories about them growing up.
In the towns surrounding my own their were other mills. So you see windmills were a very common thing to me. Took them for granted and never really took an interest in them. Moving about the country as I have I have always found things of interest locally. Of course the locals don't think much about them unless you ask. They take them for granted. I think the majority of us get bored with the local stuff. It is usually a case of I can see that anytime. Problem is that time never seems to come. Make time to see what is in your own backyard. You just might be surprised.
Old Hook Mill,East Hampton,New York

1 comment:

  1. So true! And the very reason I joined the Historical Society years ago and now help with the walking tours in the historic district. We all need to know and appreciate our treasures.

    ReplyDelete