Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Magic

I remember a Christmas when I received from Santa a complete set of Tonka trucks and a whole lotta army figures. It was one of the most memorable of my childhood. I hadn't asked for those trucks or Army men. It wasn't on any list. It came as a complete and total surprise. I can still see those trucks lined up under the tree.
Each one was wrapped separately. The fleet ranged from a simple pick up truck to a mobile crane ! They were bright yellow and made of heavy gauge metal. Almost indestructible. They came ready to roll,no assembly required,right down to the lifting string on the crane. The fun started immediately hauling the discarded wrapping paper to the trash can in the kitchen ! The bulldozer to push it in pile.the crane to lift into the back of the dump truck. No need to worry about batteries these babies are kid powered.
The army figures came in a large plastic bag. They were those molded green plastic figures in different poses.
I don't know how many there actually were but it seemed like a million. I spent hours crawling around setting these guys up and staging battles. No matter they were all the same Army they fought each other all the time !
Kinda like a family.(lol) They suffered all matter of calamity.floods,landslides,getting run over by Tonka trucks etc. I'll say this much,they were durable little guys.
Looking back it is a Christmas I'll never forget. The only other one that comes close is when I got that Spider Bicycle I wanted so much. Isn't it amazing that over all those years these are the most memorable items ?
As a child I always had wonderful Christmases. We weren't rich but had plenty. It would make for a better story to tell you how poor we were but that just wasn't the case. Thanks to Sears and Roebuck and J.C. Penny we managed just fine.
As a Grandfather I try now to give that one gift that they will always remember. It is not the most expensive item,learned that from those Army figures,but something unexpected may do. But then again,I really did want that bicycle. In reality there is no telling what gift will be that magic one. I'll bet we all have one that we remember the most.
Heres' hoping you all have a memorable Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment