Thursday, December 2, 2010

Necessity

I've just now noticed all the ads for free cell phones. A new government entitlement. If you qualify for just about any government social program you are qualified for this additional benefit. Medicare,SSI,food stamps are just a few examples.
In the ads they say how you can get these phones ,at no charge,and a set number of minutes each month. You can also purchase additional minutes by the way. The plan includes text messaging. They go on to explain how these are a necessity. If you are looking for employment they provide a means for your potential employer to contact you. Have a medical emergency just dial the phone. You can call your grandchildren says one ad.
A couple of things bug me about this latest government program. First is that Trac Phone is the only company that provides this service. They use various names but if you look they are all subsidiaries of Trac Phone. How did Trac Phone manage to get this contract from the government ? The next thing that bugs me is the misleading information. Did you know that you can dial any cell phone that is charged and be connected with 911 ? No plan required. Another thing is I'm all for helping people out but are cell phones a necessity ? A staple of life as they would have us believe ?
I hate to be cynical but this program has so much potential for abuse. I can see the Trac Phone people doing the same thing as those companies with the power chairs and scooters. We will get you a cell phone at no cost to you or we will give it to you free. I'm sure you have all heard that line a thousand times on TV ads.
If we prequalify you for a phone  blah  blah   blah.
The spending has to stop somewhere folks. I think the money set aside for this program could be better used. Give the elderly a life alert system at no charge.
Well thats' the way it is I suppose but, "Look,I'm just sayin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment