Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Christian Nation

It is time for the Christmas Parade here in Greensboro,Md. OOPS,not supposed to say that anymore it is the Holiday parade. I have been informed that we can no longer have Christmas parties either,Holiday Parties only !
This is not the first year or first time I have heard of this change but with each passing year it grates on my nerves a little more. I think it started with Seasons Greetings as a form of respect to our Jewish friends. All well and good. If they wish to say Happy Hanuka to me I would thank them and wish them the same. I don't think any of this is coming from that group. I have had some Jewish friends and none of them ever said they were offended by Christmas. I certainly am not offended by Hanuka or someone displaying a Menorah.
So I wonder where this is coming from ? On our money it says,In God We Trust,and I know some want that removed. In the Pledge it says,One Nation under God,others want that stopped. I don't think anyone is offended by having U S currency in their pockets though ! As far as One Nation under God,duh,we are a Christian Nation ! Is that a surprise to anyone ? As good and faithful Christians we allow others to practice their faith without persecution. Now these same people want us to change the way we celebrate our beliefs ?
It is true that parties and parades have little to do with the real meaning of Christmas but that is not the point.
I understand the principal of seperation of church and state. I am a Christian and I wish you a Merry Christmas. If you are offended by that I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you can not understand what it is I'm saying.
You are free to celebrate whatever holidays you choose in whatever way you choose. If you want to have a party,go for it ! You can call it what you like.

1 comment: