Saturday, December 18, 2010

The take over

A couple months ago a neighbor of mine,an elderly lady,rescued this cat. She took him to the vets for care,bought the required medicine and took care of him. She lives here only during the summer months and it was time for her return to Florida. She had been looking for someone to adopt this cat as she felt she couldn't take him home with her. A few days before she was scheduled to leave she had still been unsucessfull in this pursuit. I was talking with her and she was getting upset so I,being the softy I am, agreed to take the cat.
I have owned a cat before but this one is different. My other cat,"Jack" stayed outdoors most of the time. I would let him inside whenever the mood struck him. He was a free spirit. This one, "Hobo" has been declawed and neutered. This cat does very little other than eat and sleep.
I finished giving him his medicine and he is in good health again. Getting a little overweight too. This cat is very pushy though. He comes up to you and meows' quite loudly when he wants to be fed. If you do not respond quickly enough he will jump up and get right in your face ! When I'm at the computer he will jump on the table and sit right in front of the screen.
I put his litter box in the bathroom. He does make a mess covering up his business and now I have to keep a broom and dustpan in there all the time to sweep up. I can't go in there now without checking that litter pan.
You had better keep it cleaned out or Hobo will leave a spot elsewhere. Luckily no land mines if you know what I mean. He acts somewhat like a dog at times. I live in an upstairs apartment with a deck. He will go to the door and start meowing when he wants to go out. He never leaves the deck but enjoys watching the traffic go by. He got beat up by a bunch of feral cats before he was rescued and think he learned a lesson. When he is ready to come in,usually to eat some more,he will start meowing again. On one occasion he jumped up in a window and started meowing because no one was at the door ! This cat demands your immediate attention.
I purchased a cat bed for him but he refuses to use it. Seems like every week he finds a different place to sleep. First it was in a window in the hall,then in the hall and since I put up the christmas tree he sleeps under there. On rare occasions he will jump into my lap and allow himself to be petted. Of course cat hair gets on my clothes but that is the price I have to pay. I don't know how I allowed myself to get into this situation.
Well.I'm stuck with him now. Stupid,pushy cat just took over the house. No wonder the neighbor didn't want to take him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment