Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Memory

Its' that time again. Time for all those year in review specials. Who died,top songs and videos',news stories,etc. I'm always surprised by certain things, was that this year ? Seems like a lot longer ago. How quickly some (in my case most) things fade away and are forgotten. 2010 was not a particularly memorable year for me. No new Grand kids or anything. Didn't win the lottery (yet). No lasting peace in the mid-east.
I did watch a show on 60 minutes about people that can remember every day of their lives. Marilu Henner of TV fame is one. They said their are only six people in the world that have this ability. I can see were that would come in handy but also were it could be a curse.
Like most people I have selected memory. I remember things that are either really bad or really good. It is amazing how our brains work though. I remember the smallest details about mechanical things I have worked on but don't remember why I went into the kitchen. I'm terrible at remembering dates but enjoy reading about history. Selected memory can be a very useful tool however. Did you get the items at the store I asked for ? Opps. forgot about that. You will have to go back. But you said don't worry about it. Selected memory.
I wonder how many people they must employ to make one of those year in review shows ? You would have to shift through a lot of footage to put that thing together. I'm sure it has become easier with computers and the internet. Still,it must take quite a bit of time to assemble. Some items will be no brainers to include but others would have to be considered. I have little to no interest in celebrities but there is a wealth of fodder there.
I would be hard pressed to compile anything close to a list of events for 2010. I just don't remember anything of particular interest happening to me. Nothing that really affected me either. I'll watch the shows though and my memory will be jogged. I'll be surprised as always. A lot can happen in a year.

1 comment:

  1. A year with no big events to remember is a blessing. In 2007 my mother died; 2008 my mohter-in-law (plus surgery for my husband and a wedding for my son), 2009 my cancer disgnosed (surgery and chemo). I'm so happy to say that 2010 was a year with no big events to report. Because it is the little things in life that make it wonderful: a grandchild's hug, a spouse's touch, a beautiful day and warm home. These are the blessings in life! Not newsworthy but truly amazing. Have a happy and healthy 2011 and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete