Monday, December 20, 2010

I'm Just Sayin'

Well,they did it ! They went and repealed the "Don't Ask,Don't  Tell" policy. I wrote about my feelings on this subject before but feel compelled to comment again. Being a retired member of our armed forces I feel I've earned that right anyway. I think it is a big mistake and will lead to trouble.
First let me state I am not against Gay people. I don't like the lifestyle choice they made but it is not my life.
Gays have been part of our society forever. Enough said about that.
The trouble lies in the fact that we are dealing with young people away from home and trying to adjust to a new society. I know I was there. Done that.
Take a 18 or 19 year old boy,put him with a crowd of other young boys and the natural macho man instinct will kick in. Throw some alcohol into the mix and you are really brewing(no pun intended) up a batch of trouble. The straight guys will have to prove that they are straight and the Gays guys are going to try to make a stand. Recipe for trouble. I can not address what will happen with the Lesbian community as I have no basis for that other than speculation.
Another thing is this policy will also be used as a tool. I was there when they first allowed women on ships. It was quite a change and policies were set. No fraternizing on the ship allowed ! Of course there was fraternizing going on as you can make all the policies you want but hormones kick in. This led to jealousies and a certain amount of fighting. The worst part was the girls could holler that they were being harassed and really mess up a career. This happened on at least two occasions that I know of personally and the claims were totally unfounded. It was a tool to garner sympathy and possibly some measure of favor. I can see the same thing happening with the newest policy change.
The only part of the policy that needed changing was the part were you could be discharged for being Gay !
I can tell you I never asked but sometimes I could tell who was or wasn't Gay. I really never cared and still don't. It will take some time for everyone to adjust,and they will, but I hate the problems that this is going to cause until they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment