Friday, December 17, 2010

Full Circle

It has been said that history repeats itself. I think that is a true enough statement as very little is new,just reinvented. Two co-workers were talking about purchasing holiday gifts. One was an older person the other in her teens. The older person suggested a CD but the younger one says, nobody buys CDs anymore ! You download the song from I-Tunes.
This set me to thinking. I recall buying 45 rpm records for 90 cents. You would hear the song on the radio and couldn't wait until the single was released. If the group/person had enough hits you might save up for the album. Albums were almost ten dollars ! Sometimes even more. With the advent of the eight track tape player 45'S became a thing of the past. I do remember seeing some cassette tapes that only had a few songs on them but guess that trend didn't catch on. After cassette tapes came the cd's. Now we apparently have traveled full circle as you can purchase a single tune for about 99 cents I am told. History repeating or a reinvention ?
I do find it amusing that stereo systems (do they still call it that) have grown so small in size. I remember a time when the quality of the sound depended upon the size of the equipment. Huge speakers,giant receivers with dozens of dials or slides,the bigger the better. Now the speaker fits inside your ear and the equipment needed to play it can easily be strapped to your belt or just about anywhere else for that matter. Remember the Boom Boxes ? Don't see many of those anymore. Given time I'm sure we will see a return to the larger sizes.
When it comes to clothing styles the same thing holds true. Very few are completely new. Usually just a reinvention of an older style. Seems like this is especially true with womens footwear. A lot of the popular styles today look like something I've seen in very old pictures. Some have the buttons on them,although I don't think you need a button hook anymore. Its' early in the winter season but I've seen a lot of boots that my sister wore. I think she called them thigh high and they were all the rage back in the day.
A form of confirmation of this to me is the wearing of pajamas as regular clothing. The designers couldn't come up with something new so lets' reinvent PJS'.
Then there is the issue of Global warming. Whats' the deal with that ? We had an ice age and then it got warmer didn't it ? Why are the scientists surprised ? Wait long enough and it will get cold again.
History does repeat itself. Mankind makes the same mistakes over and over. We just reinvent the reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment