Sunday, October 6, 2013

Writing

Writing is speaking without being interrupted. That is how I think of it anyhow. Writing also gives you the chance to change your words. If you write and speak honestly you don't need to change your thoughts, just the words to describe them. Vocabulary is a wonderful thing. The words should be chosen carefully. Using words that are misleading or not understood do little to convey the message. Rare is it that an author can make the reader stop to look up the meaning of a word. I am not writing a lesson plan and so the reader reads for entertainment, having to look up a meaning isn't any fun. Fortunately I don't have a problem with that because my words are fairly common ones. I do like to throw in an occasional five or ten dollar word just to make it sound more official. Kinda like a real author.
Now I am not a very proficient typist either. That skill, or lack of it gives me even more time to compose my thoughts. Interesting how the word compose, to write, and composure, to stay calm, are related. I find my best writing comes to me when I stay calm. I can get excited about a subject and get carried away. I need to be reminded to stay calm. Write coherently.
We all have something to say. Unfortunately people keep interrupting us. The distractions grow year by year. More people, more entertainment possibilities. I-pads, I-pods, television, the internet and smart phones. Facebook and Twitter and a myriad of other things always interrupting. I think we should all just turn these distractions off, excuse yourself politely and write a few words every day. Whether you choose to just keep a private journal or share your thoughts with the world is irrelevant. The point is to speak uninterrupted. To be allowed to finish your thought. There is another skill that goes along with that, the ability to listen. Allow the other person to finish their thought. I need to work more on that skill. In speaking, as in writing, I need to remain calm, maintain my composure. It is far too easy for me to become,what I call, passionate, about a subject. One should be long in thought and short in speech. Brevity is a blessing to all. The distillation of your thoughts into a concept, what we often call an adage. That is the problem with speech. We have a need to respond, often too quickly, before thought can be given. A quick wit is admired, as is wisdom. One is fast , the other requires experience. Writing down your experiences reinforces what you have learned, and can provide insight. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment