Thursday, October 3, 2013

Embarrassed

I saw where California has passed a law regarding compromising pictures. Should your ex, post, online, certain photographs that were taken in private, in a spiteful way you can be prosecuted. I confess I really didn't listen to all the particulars. It just caught my interest for a moment or two. My initial reaction was, if you don't take those type of pictures you don't have to be concerned with all that. Apparently that is too simplistic an approach. There are those defending the position that those pictures were appropriate at the time. That those pictures somehow displayed trust and love in the other person. Indeed, some feel not to do so would be a sign of mistrust.
The question that needs to be answered is this. Can an action be moral and correct in private, but not in public ? Is the deed or action any more or less correct if done secretly ? I certainly don't think so. Is sin only committed in public ? That is not to say that the taking of such pictures is sin, I wouldn't go that far, but certainly lacking in good judgement. If one feels they need to" hide " or " keep secret " an action  that action should probably not be done in the first place.
Now the posting of such pictures for vengeance is petty and reprehensible to say the least. A criminal act ? I suppose so. I have said this in the past and I still think this way. You cannot legislate morality. The passing of laws to punish behaviors which are basically a moral issue will not prevent the behavior. The posting of these pictures is a violation of a promise. I promise not to show them to anyone else. Then ,later the trust is broken and my promise,at least in me eyes, becomes invalid. If we pass a law to cover every broken promise we will be writing for a long time.
What is the satisfaction one receives under this law ? The pictures are there and always will be. If once posted online they are always available to one that knows how to seek them out. Does the injured party receive monetary compensation ? I don't know that answer but if so wouldn't that be akin to just selling them ? The money won't remove the pictures or the breach of trust. What would be an appropriate punishment ? An eye for an eye ?  Sounds silly to me.
There are certain actions,behaviors or feelings that we share with those we love and trust. That is as it should be. The recording of these actions,behaviors or feelings is not necessary, nor wise. Secrets recorded,are not secret. Don't want anyone else to know, don't tell and for Gods' sake ,don't take a picture !
We have passed laws legalizing what some would call immoral behavior. We are being told to accept these behaviors as perfectly fine and just. Many actions are becoming " offensive " to some, like public prayer or saying the pledge of allegiance. Yet we will pass a law for someone that " embarrasses " me. And isn't that the real offense ? I'm embarrassed. Consider the word and it's implication. Whose fault is it ?

No comments:

Post a Comment