Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Diplomacy

There are small moments in time that will stay with us. Occasions and situations that stand out. I am embroiled in a minor one right now. This one involves an answer on a test my grandson has taken in school. It may seem trivial to some, but I think it is significant. I'll explain.
The question is simply this, what form of government does the United States have ? The answers where in the form of multiple choice. I can not say what the exact choices where as I have not personally seen the test, but Monarchy and Democracy where among them. Now Mark does not see the correct answer listed among those choices. He then writes in his response, a Republic. When the paper is graded the teacher has marked the answer incorrect. Mark and I are incredulous. How can this be ? The United States is a republic. The evidence is plain to see when we recite the pledge of allegiance. " And to the republic for which it stands. " Article four,section four of the Constitution spells this out plainly. Even Ben Franklin when asked what type of Government he had given us replied, " A republic, if you can but keep it. "
Now there are certain factions within my own family that feel that Mark and I should just let this go. Mark and I disagree on principal. Right is right. Mark wrote that answer on that test because it was the correct answer, no one told him to do that. The answer came from his own reading,discussion and understanding of the subject matter, government. That should be acknowledged and credit given. The actual numerical or letter value is not of major importance but the thought process is. Mark is waiting for an opportunity to address this with his teacher and so in all fairness final judgement has not been passed.
This " minor " issue is a moment that can change things in a big way. It is a teaching moment. The lesson I am attempting to teach Mark is about the purpose of education. We all hear the phrase, getting an education. I'm going to school to receive an education. Well no one can" give " you an education, you must acquire that on your own. The repeating of facts,stories or formulas is not an education. Understanding the meaning and implications of those things is the purpose of education. Education is merely a stimulant to thought. Too many times we become confused about that. There are those that make it through four years of college and receive a degree, yet leave uneducated. Whatever facts they learned are available to anyone with the textbook. Only those that leave that college or university with a thirst for more are truly becoming educated. Education is a life long pursuit.
It is a bit of a delicate situation. On the one hand I want Mark to stand up and express his belief in his answer. I would like him to show his supporting evidence, to prove his point. On the other hand a diplomatic approach is required. I want him to learn that lesson as well. Do not surrender your principals but also do not be obnoxious. Don't be a wise guy ! Ultimately he must accept the judgement of the teacher. I have told him that and he understands that principal as well. Not all battles need be fought to the death. There will be other days. I am anxious to see the outcome of this little skirmish.

No comments:

Post a Comment