Thursday, October 17, 2013

In Pursuit

We always hear about life being too short, and how fast the time goes by. Both of these statements are true. But I think it is only true if you are in pursuit. Whatever it is that you are perusing is not so important to time, but should be important to you. What is your lifelong pursuit ? Money,fame, recognition, leaving a legacy ? Identifying that ambition is the secret to being happy. If we can set the goal and continually strive toward it we can get that feeling of achievement we all desire. The problem lies in the measurement of progress. How do we measure that ?
In all honesty I can not identify just what it is I wish to accomplish in my lifetime. I can say what I would like others to remember about me but that is a different subject altogether. I know I want to leave a written record of my being here. That was the initial purpose of this blogging. Do I hope to accomplish anything with it ? Nice thought, but in the final analysis of little importance to anyone other than family members, or future family members. My writings may or may not be a matter of curiosity to others. Certainly after my passing they would have to be searched out and what would the motivation for that be ? I do not believe I have any special insights or observations beyond the normal man. So this writing is for me.
The real question is whether we are content with just being who we are. When sitting alone and in the quiet of the evening, are you happy with you ? Are you satisfied, or are you still in pursuit ? Have you reached whatever goal you set for yourself ? Will you ever reach that goal ? Do you even think about that ? Is that what they call ambition ? Can your ambitions only be satisfied by the acknowledgement of others ? In that last question lies the real key. That is a difficult question to answer. To answer in the affirmative is to admit to vanity, not a quality one should ascribe to. Yet to be honest it is something we all crave. We may call it different names but it is the same. A true paradox.
But if we set our goal as the betterment of ourselves as people, we need not be concerned. It is a lifelong pursuit and a noble goal. It is also a goal that can never be reached. Yet in not having reached that goal we will receive the acknowledgement of others. Our vanity is not apparent, being masked by kindness and understanding. The quiet truth of our words and actions being ambassadors. The rewards of our efforts will come after our passing. The belief in that is what will sustain us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment