Friday, October 4, 2013

Riding the Ferry

Some memories are getting harder to recall. I suppose it is all a part of life. The brain does have limited storage after all. I must be filling mine up and had to delete some files. That's my story and I'm sticking with that. If it is in a zippered file, the zipper is stuck ! In either case a portion of a memory has been jogged loose in recent days. I have seen mention of Shelter Island and that reminded me of a bicycle trip. That is also where the memory gets cloudy. If I am wrong about the details some of you may correct me. I would not take offense to that.
I believe it was a church trip. We took our bicycles to the South Ferry and rode the ferry to Shelter Island. I recall, dimly, riding a circuit that circled the entire island. We went swimming at one of the beaches and had lunch at a restaurant. I believe our ages would have been 14 or so. There are only small pieces that I remember vividly, and those involved the girls, I will not speak of them here. I will say that the majority of what went on was all innuendo and nervous laughter. No physical contact ,of any kind, was involved. I still smile with the thought of it all. A good time. A time of innocence but with a new awakening. As I say, the details are very foggy. I don't recall who the leader was, what adult came along. I'm thinking it must have been the assistant pastor at that time. His name escapes me at the moment. Richard ?
Later on, when I could drive, I went to shelter Island several times with my best friend Rich. We would take the ferry across and just cruise around the Island. It was a beautiful enough place and the natives were friendly. I do recall a certain beach shack restaurant that we particularly enjoyed. It was aptly named, The Oasis. I believe Rich has a picture of this place, probably long gone by now. It was a nice way to spend a day.
An interesting little footnote to all this is that there is a ferry here in Maryland that goes from a town named Oxford, to Bellevue. Started in 1683 it may be the oldest privately run ferry in the United States. I rode this ferry one day on a lark. The wife and I were just out for a drive and thought it might be fun. After boarding the ferry we got out of the car. I had occasion to run into the captain of the ferry and mentioned how this ferry boat looked somehow familiar to me. She then told me this ferry had been purchased from the South Ferry Company in Sag Harbor ,New York. Imagine my surprise. This ferry could well have been the same ferry I rode on that bicycle trip and in later years. I enjoyed a brief conversation with the Captain and enjoyed my ferry ride very much.

                                                                         
The Oxford Ferry
( formerly the Shelter Island Ferry )

No comments:

Post a Comment