Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's all relative

Two days ago our family gained a new member. Baby Katie entered the world. As the news spread quickly across social media, I received some congratulatory messages. One said, congrats Uncle Ben. Now this didn't come from a nephew or a niece so the implication was understood. Chuckling to myself I returned the greeting with this retort, " that's Great Uncle Ben thank you very much. " Afterward, this thought came to me. Is it Great Uncle or should it be Grand Uncle ? I subscribe to Ancestry.Com so I went there to find the answer. As with most things it isn't as clear or straightforward a thing as one might imagine. Finally I googled it too. The general consensus is, drum roll please, Grand Uncle. In keeping with the practice of being a Grand father I would then be a Grand Uncle. Funny we don't often use those terms much for Uncles or Aunts. It is like cousins, much past first cousins we don't count'em. But that is another blog, figuring that out. Hint, it really isn't that difficult.
I was thinking what a joy it is to be a Grandfather. If it this much fun being a Grandfather being a Great Grandfather is gonna be a hoot ! It even sounds better. Not only are you Grand, but you're Great ! Seems only right that it should be that way with Uncles too. Maybe if we started using these terms more, we would all grow up with a better understanding of family and relationships. How many cousins, first and/or second and thirds might I have known. In the small town where I was raised I'm betting the number would have been significant. Include the surrounding area and we are all just one big happy family ! Wouldn't that be wonderful ? It may even have far reaching social implications. Would you rob your own cousin ? Mug your Great Grand Uncle ? Might even bring some new light onto the subject of interracial relationships. We are more closely related that we might think, or at least that we are aware of. Certain things were not talked about years ago.
That is the funny thing about aging. The older we get ,the more relatives we have. All too often we focus on those we lost, and that is natural, but what if we focused on those we gained ? Should we not try to include them in our lives ? Even if we just do that with a card or letter every now and again. I think most children would be curious about that. How cool would it be to get a card from a Great Grand Uncle ? Wow Mommy, who is that ? Could get the conversation started. Also I find it a comfort to know the family is still growing strong. It is up to us senior members to include the newest members. I would hate to wind up as an photograph and someone saying, " who is that " ? No, hopefully I'll be hanging on the wall watching. Great Grand Uncle Ben or Ben, third cousin,twice removed from Mom's side of the family.


No comments:

Post a Comment