Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The price ?

It's another morning and my head is empty. Normally I wake up full of ideas and thoughts. This morning I have nothing I wish to discuss. I call it discuss because that is what I do when I write. I'm discussing a subject with myself. I enjoy that because I seldom get an argument. Total agreement and harmony is the result. But I am told the purpose of a writer is to entertain and inform. Whereas I can entertain myself, I'm not so sure about the information I am sharing. Seems like a lot of what I talk about is open to interpretation and speculation. I think that is true about most everything in the bigger picture. What do we really know ?
Now writing words doesn't make you a writer. I am aware of that. If it were that easy we would all be published authors. I confess I like the idea of that. I do have some desire to pursue that course but I wouldn't describe it as a passion. I do think one has to be passionate in whatever they are doing or trying to accomplish. To do anything less will be fruitless. Commitment, that's what it takes. I'm just not sure I'm fully committed. And that takes a personal choice. No amount of encouragement will do it. You have to choose it.
I have been accused of having a large ego. I think it is just a healthy one. At this point my ego isn't large enough to provide the impetus to write that best seller. I also don't think in terms of monetary gain. I don't think I'd get rich from a single book. There are starving authors, as well as starving artists ! The motivators just aren't there. For now, the big book idea is more of a lark and fanciful idea. I will continue to write however. Yes, it should be that one writes, or paints or whatever solely for themselves. Just for the art. That is not the reality, at least not in my world. I also have to make a living and live a life. In the movies I would just lock myself away and write. Living in a cabin in the woods , like Thoreau, and just focusing on the words. Thoreau said, " The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. " I understand just what he means. I do wonder what I would do if that were possible. Would I, or is that just talk ?
The real bottom line is to quit making excuses. Isn't that the truth of it ? All things are possible if we but try. I can spout out the rhetoric but can I deliver ? That is the inner conflict within us all. Now, that's something to think about !

No comments:

Post a Comment