Thursday, October 10, 2013

The incident of 59

Small moments in time sometimes remain with us. The how or why of it a mystery. A really insignificant thing, remembered. The little moment that came to the surface yesterday, has been hiding in the folds of my grey matter for over fifty years. This incident occurred on the school bus. Bus number eight, the old green bean. The bus was painted a dark green color. I had modeled a canoe out of clay and was carrying it home to my mother. The old bus was crowded, some of the big kids were standing up. The bus bounced and jostled them about. At one point, a girl, her name was Donna, a name I'll never forget bumped into me and my canoe. She broke the tip off the end ! She broke it ! I attacked. Girl or no girl, I was incensed ! I was met with surprised indignation. First she wasn't aware of what she had done, then she just tried to dismiss it. Oh, the injustice of it all. Fortunately this happened just before my bus stop. We reached my stop and the driver separated me from this, Donna. I was given my canoe, now in two pieces, and told to leave the bus.
That is the only portion of that time I can recall vividly. What happened when I got home I don't remember. Where my sister was, she should have been on that bus too, I don't know. But the real curious thing to me is why I remember at all. Why should this small snippet remain ? The psychologists would probably have an explanation, some mumbo jumbo to say. Maybe I now harbor resentment towards anyone named Donna. I can't say as I know any Donnas'. I like the song and Donna Reed was a good actress so I don't think so.
I think the real reason is simple. This moment was a bit of outrageous behavior on my part. It was talked about for quite a while afterwards. In later years I was teased about it by my siblings. On the up side I did learn a valuable life lesson. Never carry your canoe on the bus with a girl named Donna. Seriously though I did learn about proper behavior. I'm sure I was punished in some fashion. I was taught that that reaction was not acceptable.
Whatever happened to the canoe is lost to history. I wonder where Donna is today and if she would remember the big incident of 59. I'm thinking if she were around I would apologize for that and we would share a good laugh. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment