Monday, October 28, 2013

Polite Company

A television commercial for Capital One caught my attention. I had to wait and listen carefully the second and third times to be sure I heard correctly. Towards the end of their spiel the salesman says, " you get that every damn day. " Excuse me ? I think this may be the first commercial I have seen that included, what I consider swearing. I think it is safe to say we all know another word that usually precedes this " damn " and I don't like it. Not one bit. Brings to mind another common phrase nowadays, " it sucks " and I don't like that either. To me it is just another sign of a deteriorating society. When we start using vulgarities as acceptable forms of speech in the general society, it speaks volumes. No pun intended. I am not concerned with it being contemporary, or in, or whatever term you wish to use to make it sound alright. In my opinion, it just isn't for general use. Perhaps among a bunch of old sailors, bikers and other groups with questionable moral standards, but not in front of women and children. Not in what we call, polite company. I would certainly classify a television commercial as polite. If I was interested in Capital One I can now say positively, not in my wallet !
I expect some advertising " genius " sold this concept to Capital One. Probably telling them how it will attract the younger people, especially the young professionals who are trying to convince themselves that they are not " professionals. " Now everyone is trying to project the image of the " common man ". Being a cultured professional is not in style at the moment. What happened to the marauding Viking campaign ? At least that was mildly entertaining.
This is another example of how this stuff just creeps in. Now children will be saying that and when corrected there response will be, it is what they say on television. I think there is enough stuff already on there that children don't need to be hearing. I know, I know, there hear it at school and everywhere else. True, but doesn't make it right. Once it shows up in something as passive as a television commercial, I think you can say the door is open. Is it really acceptable for everyday conversation now ? Apparently so, but not in my world. I still live in a world of polite company. I admit the courtesy isn't always returned and I have grown accustomed to it. There are occasions and circumstances when I too use vulgarities, I'm not proud of it and try to curb that desire to fit in. I don't always succeed. I do pretty good though, in Polite Company.
I view it as a lowering of social standards. Goes along with the way we now dress for certain occasions and the exercising of polite manners in public. Remember opening doors for the ladies, or the tipping of your hat, cordial greetings exchanged between strangers and consideration for others ? I have noticed this decline in social behavior and the airing of this commercial opens another avenue. What matter of language can I expect next ? Shall we just throw open the doors and all speak using four letters as an adjective ? Hear that enough already. Am I overreacting ? Perhaps one could say that. I am just making social commentary here and you must decide for yourself what is acceptable. For me, the answer is unacceptable ! I much prefer polite company and quiet discussion. Save the expletives for the proper time and place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment