Sunday, October 28, 2012

the time of goodbye

A man of considerable note and obvious affection passed away a few days ago. Living across from the funeral home I notice the mourners coming and going. This man had a lot of mourners. Maybe the largest crowd I have witnessed. I wonder if his wife and family truly appreciate that outpouring of support, or if they would have preferred a more private time. After all, the viewing and the funeral are for those left behind. It is a paradox considering most of us let our desires be known beforehand. I know for me I have a few simple requests. But why should I ? I'll be there sure, but will it matter to ,me ? Believing in the afterlife like I do it shouldn't. I'll be in paradise. I'm guessing it is just because we all want to get the last word in.
Now I figure when I was born there were few people there. The doctor and a nurse or two. Afterwards my brothers and my sister and Dad. Once I got home a few others. Surely wasn't any waiting line to get a look at me. I'm thinking it will be the same when I'm leaving. A few close friends and family. Goodbyes said and a few tears shed, hopefully. Most newborns aren't much to look at and dead people aren't either, despite everyone's insistence to the contrary.
I really dislike attending viewings and funerals. I even dislike the term viewing. I'm going to look at the deceased. No thanks, I prefer remembering the way they looked in life. The graveside service I can understand but hate witnessing the finality of it all. I do go, for the sake of the family, but would rather not. There are those that require that display of affection.
Each of us make our entrance and exit. Some quietly and some with great fanfare. We do not choose the time of our entrance nor our departure. We can control,somewhat, what happens in between. We attempt to orchestrate our departure to a degree. In the end though, that is left to someone else. Who will be there to say goodbye ? Indeed, the time of goodbye is unknown to us all. Show your affection and caring to the living  , those departed can wait, they have time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment