Monday, October 15, 2012

Selling Grandpas Dreams

They are building a new Walmart "superstore" just a few miles down the road from me. In the town of Denton. One step closer to the end of the line. At least, that is my view of it. Prior to this store twenty miles was the closest superstore. I see the end for a few more Mom and Pop stores and probably a couple of national chain stores as well. Can the Food Lion store across the street survive this challenge ? I doubt it. There is a Roses store right next door. Can they compete with this giant ? Most likely no. And what worries me more is what will follow on the heels of this ? It took many years and lots of legal wrangling to get it done but as usual, money wins the day. I foresee this store becoming the nucleus for commercial development. The temptation of potential profits will too great to resist.
I have watched as corn fields turned into housing developments. I watched as the country stores went all citified. Gas pumps growing in place of wheat. The paving of America. All the while I listen as the young people praise the progress. Little do they understand when they reach my age, how much they will bemoan this progress. There is no taking it back.
It is the age old story. It is nothing new. Still, I hate to see it coming. I especially dislike the way it all just creeps up on you. Right before your eyes, it all disappears. A little store here and a little shop over there. Closed up and empty. And no one likely to go in there. Before it is all over our town will be nothing more than a housing development close to the Wal-Mart.
I commend those that resisted. They did their best. The rollercoaster of progress just rolled over them. The "progress" will undoubtedly continue. There are profits to be made and opportunity for financial windfalls. Why work the farm when I can sell it ? Excuses can be made and reasons explained. In the end the result will be the same. An era gone, a lifestyle lost and, for the old timers, a sense of sorrow.  That is the result of selling Grandpas dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment