Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Finding the line

Finding the line. The line between justly proud and being a braggart. That fine line between being a contributor or being the hero. It is an invisible line and a line of emotion. Some go forward blissfully unaware of that line while others stay well back from it. Confident or modest, which way is correct ?
I was raised to be modest in most things. No one likes a braggart. Actions speak louder than words is my motto. I tend to question the credibility of anyone that does otherwise. I personally, am uncomfortable, when required to do so. Like filling out a job application where you have to list your accomplishments. Or, tell me what you can contribute to the company. I struggle with those portions. Not much on ringing my own bell.
Along with that I also am not one for displaying my accomplishments, for lack of a better description, on my person or in my home. On Veterans day or Memorial Day I may don my old uniform, or barring that wear something to signify my time in service. I am not one to wear a cap or jacket emblazoned with Veteran or the service I served in. I do display a few items in my home related to the service. My retirement certificate for instance. Took me thirty years to earn that and so I feel justified in displaying it. But I cringe whenever someone wants to label me a hero for having done so. I'm no hero.
I was taught praise should come unsolicited from others. It is not something you do for yourself. One can be proud of their accomplishments but should not brag about them. In fact praise is something you should not strive for. Praise is the result of doing the right thing. If you are involved in some endeavor just for the praise you may garner, you are in it for the wrong reason. Having the job is important, but doing the work is the primary objective.
I grow tired of those that feel they are somehow special because of their occupation or affiliation with some organization. We have all met them. They are the, " But I'M A " ( insert whatever here ). I wonder about those that walk around like a billboard stating their affiliations. It strikes me as almost gang like, wearing your colors. A small pin or patch is sufficient, is my opinion.
Could be I'm just an antique. It just seems to me that this attitude of self promotion is running a bit rampant. This, look at me, I'm a hero syndrome. I think it stems from every child getting accolades and certificates for every little thing they have done. For fear of offending anyone or hurting their feelings we are leaving out an important lesson. Humility. A lesson that may hurt to learn, but necessary. A return to the more basic facts of life is in order. Teach the children about humility and compassion. Teach them the real reward comes from within yourself and not from others. Teach them to do right not to garner praise, but because it is necessary.



1 comment: