Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Meanings

Now here is a tough question. What is the meaning of life ? People have been trying to answer that one for a while. The fact of the matter is, it is different for every one of us, although I think the precepts are same. And for me those precepts are summed up with the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Can't get more basic truth than that. Doesn't explain the meaning of life but defines a framework.
I'm no different from anyone else and have pondered this question of life many times. First to consider is why should there be a meaning to it all ? Why can't it just be ? Does the life of a flower have meaning ? Or the life of an animal ? Should man be the only life with meaning ? Rather arrogant of us as a species to think so. But, man is noted for his arrogance in the universe.
I have no doubt that each of us are here to fulfill a larger purpose. A purpose has to have meaning. It is not necessary for us to know the meaning so long as we know the purpose. And what is that purpose ? To be kind to our fellow man and treat each other with respect and understanding. Yes, but the purpose must be larger than that. We can not be here solely as witnesses to history. No, we are creating that history. One could argue that is our purpose. The creation of history. Of course history would create itself without the intervention of man. History and time are intertwined to form the fabric of life. Whether or not you personally are woven into that fabric is inconsequential to its' formation. That still leaves the question of meaning.
I think the meaning lies in the precepts. I am here for others. That is my purpose. I can search for the meaning to life as it relates to me and never discover that. That is because I am looking at myself when I should be looking at others. Once you can take pleasure in doing for others more than doing for yourself, you are on the path to understanding. Understanding the meaning to this life. It is a very difficult thing and requires a lifetime of practice. I know I need to remind myself of those precepts every day. It is easy to become self absorbed. That is the frailty of man.
When I became a grandparent and looked into the eyes of those babies I began to see these truths. History repeating itself. I was once was that tiny and dependant. My own children relied upon me. And now those grand children deserving of my love and care. I have become unencumbered from the foolishness of youth. Those once, oh so important things, no longer important at all. I have begun to see the meaning in it all. And it has little to do with me. The meaning is in the future. Meaningful endeavors take time and patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment