Sunday, October 14, 2012

the other side of the table

Having survived the camping trip of Friday night I find myself once again grateful. Grateful for my Grandchildren that keep me young and grateful that I am able to participate in their lives. I wasn't so grateful for the frost on the ground when I woke in the morning. A tad chilly ! Nevertheless, I did have a wonderful time. Met some fine people and enjoyed the great outdoors. I do love a nice fire and the natural beauty of the woods.
Saturday morning was a bit slow in coming, that much I will admit. The sleeping was fitful at best. Between the cold and the fact that I was actually lying on the ground, I was a bit uncomfortable. Worth every minute though. When Saturday arrived it was time for Autumn Fest in Greensboro. This festival is a newer event having replaced Founders day. It is a time for the community to come together. Of course there are vendors but also plenty of free things to do. The town sponsors this event. Bouncy house for the kids, the lucky duck pond, live entertainment, face painting, temporary tattoos, pumpkin decorating and the historical society had a booth as well.
This year was the first year I was on the other side. That is to say I worked in the tattoo booth. I wasn't a visitor to the event, I was part of the event. I was involved. It is a different experience altogether. To begin with almost everyone speaks to you. If you are behind the table, I guess people figure you are safe to talk to. I love it. Nothing better than running your mouth ! The temporary tattoos just transfer with a little water so even I could master that in no time. The little ones really get a kick out of them. I get a kick out of the little kids, so that is a win win situation. It isn't all fun though. I did feel a little restricted as I was supposed to stay put. My wife was helping as well so I did slip away a few times. Well, the wife may have done more than her fair share but who is counting ? Someone had to scout the crowd and get the refreshments. I assumed that mantle of responsibility. I stepped up to the plate, as it were.
The day warmed up nicely. There was a good turnout. My daughter in law worked the bake sale booth for the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The church is sponsoring a trip to Kentucky for the youth of the church. The proceeds of this sale will go toward that goal. Sales were good. By three in the afternoon things were winding down. The tattoo booth was closed down and I came home. Rest at last. But I rested the rest of the righteous. I had done my part. Felt good too.
I must say it is a different view from the other side of the table. Observing the crowd. Some happy and some not so much. I understand why someone could become a sociologist. The study of human nature can be fascinating. All the separate little scenes taking place within the scope of the larger. The whole event is different. I can't decide which way is best. Being involved takes effort but is also rewarding. Just like life.
Could be I learned something from this. I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment