Thursday, October 18, 2012

Old and New

I watched a story on the news about family members moving back into one home. Either adult children moving back in with Mom and Dad or Mom and Dad moving in with them. The economic times being the prime motivator. The story took the angle that this was a bad thing and another example of our failing economy. Almost as though it was a hardship that had to be endured.
Excuse me but didn't many families do just that years ago ? Think the Waltons. In fact, many never moved out at all. A lot just added onto the family home. I can't see where it is such a bad thing. Would take effort though. Family relationships can be difficult and a strain. Maybe the effort should be on learning to get along and just love one another, rather than moving out. Another perception is that it is a sign of success. I can understand that.
Other cultures stress families working together and living together. The family pool their money and resources for the good of the entire unit. The major drawback being someone has to be in control and have the final say. That doesn't always work out and can lead to division in the family. If you look closely at these cultures you will see this tradition fading away and becoming westernized. Everyone for themselves.
History repeats, we have all heard that. There is a measure of truth to that statement. The same circumstances are presented to succeeding generations. How those generations deal with those circumstances is what changes. Whether new methods are employed or the old ways adopted there will be pros and cons. No matter the road taken, a toll must be paid. The cost of progress.
I am not so sure I would want to live in the same house with my parents or siblings. I would like it if we all lived close by, in the same town or neighborhood. I am not foolish enough to believe life would be like the Waltons. That was a bit idealistic. So was Leave it to Beaver, but I did enjoy them both. I do think that man has perhaps begun to move too far from man. The connections are being lost. We have gone from family units, to community units, to county and state units. We are even beginning to lose our National  identity.
A global unit. Progress and growing pains. America has been described as the great melting pot and that is just as true today as the day the phrase was spoken. Are we indeed headed toward the " one world " concept ? One central governing body ? Could be. In the meantime though if Mom wants to move in with me I guess that would be alright. It would take some adjustments. It could work. Maybe. 

1 comment:

  1. Keywords in no particular order: adjustments, LOVE, maybe. Keep watching my blog, I might have to ad an elongated opinion over there one day soon.

    ReplyDelete