Friday, February 24, 2012

Work for It

I was having a pleasant conversation with my sister yesterday. She lives in Florida and we stay in touch on a fairly regular basis. I do enjoy talking with her. Another connection to the past. There are things you can only talk about with your siblings because,well, they are your siblings. They understand what you mean even when the meaning isn't so very clear. Simpatico, I think they call that. Our Mom had just had a health crisis and she had just returned to her home. Mom is 82. My sister was saying how the doctors urged a lifestyle change for Mom,as they always do. She needed to exercise more and eat healthier choices. The standard Doctor lingo.
My sister had remarked how she had a treadmill in her home and used it on a regular basis. She had considered buying my Mom an exercise bicycle but decided against it. Probably wouldn't get used. I agreed . I remarked that is why you can always find them in the paper for cheap ! Hardly ever used is the most common description.
As often happens with me I went off on another whole train of thought. Why is it so much easier to develop bad habits than to form good ones ? Didn't take long for me to start smoking but over twenty five years to change that habit. Bad habits you can form all alone,unassisted, no problem. To change that behavior however often requires the assistance of others. I think that is why people hire a personal trainer. Some one to yell at you and keep you motivated. Your spouse doesn't count, that's just nagging ! But when you pay someone to do the same thing it is called positive reinforcement. Funny how our minds work,isn't it.
We often blame bad habits on someone else's influence. Everybody else was doing it. A movie star was doing that and I thought I'd be just as cool. Good habits we take all the credit for. I quit smoking ! Some insist on telling everyone that and insisting they should do the same. A definite change in attitude from there previous opinion.
It is possible to acquire good habits. Thing is,it takes work and a conscious effort. If only bad habits took the same. At least that way we would have a fighting chance. Healthy foods just don't taste as good as Ice cream and candy. Riding is much easier than walking. The use of every labor saving device possible just seems logical.
Yes,it is a quandary alright. The never ending battle between good and evil. The deck is stacked against us. I wonder why that is so ? I think God must have a good sense of humor. Anything worthwhile is worth working for. My Grandmother often said those words. That old time logic and good common sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment