Friday, February 10, 2012

Incentives

The car show is being held in Baltimore. All the manufacturers displaying their latest offerings. I have never been to one and most likely will never attend. Looks like fun but I'm not much on window shopping. I rarely admire those things that I know I can't afford. I don't feel as bad that way. What you don't know won't hurt you. In my opinion most of the cars look pretty much alike these days. Stylistically there is little to be excited about.
I hear the ads on television. Cross overs and hybrids seem to be the rage. Going green. I can remember going from station wagons to mini vans. That was a big deal back in the day. Then the SUV's.  The sport utility vehicle. Good name don't you think ? Sounds impressive. And now we have arrived at the hybrid. Sounds a bit unnatural to me. Not a bad idea though. Our energy dependence is not a good thing. We need to explore alternatives. We were supposed to have flying cars in suitcases by now ! I hear about cross overs but am not real sure just what it is they are crossing.
I hear tell a hybrid can be had for 25 thousand or so. Incentives are being offered. Special financing and interest rates. Isn't that always the way. For those that can afford to buy new vehicles, breaks are being given. For those of us that have to struggle along with what we have, nothing. It is not only new cars but most everything else is that way. If I can afford to spend several thousands of dollars upgrading the insulation value in my home, tax break. If I can barely afford oil to heat it, my problem. And so it goes. Those that have,get more. Those that struggle,keep struggling. And then you have the freeloaders ! I won't go there this morning.
I do get a little annoyed with the pitchmen. They make it seem as though if you are not buying a new hybrid car you are responsible for the destruction of the environment. They say what an inexpensive proposition it really is. You can get them and a tax break too ! Why aren't you ? Run right out and go into debt for another twenty thousand plus. I'm happy for those that can. I'm just thinking that maybe some incentives and breaks ought to be offered to the average working family. You know,those that aren't on welfare and those that don't make a six figure income.
Ok,got that out of my system this morning. What's the point ? No point Just expressing an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment