Saturday, February 4, 2012

Thoughts on Valentines

Soon it will be Valentines day. The pressure is on. Men everywhere are reminding themselves over and over. Don't forget,Don't forget. Anxiety is setting in. Yet, in the end more than one will screw it up. Either by forgetting altogether or by getting some totally lame gift. A Hallmark card with all the appropriate words of love and devotion is required. Most men hate that and it is a little embarrassing to buy them. The clerks,usually female, always seem to know what the card says and give you that look. How sweet ! Yeah,yeah can we just get on with the sale.
I remember when I was in grade school. We all made a " mailbox " in the shape of a heart  for the other students to put your valentines in. Back in my day we weren't required to give everyone a valentine, only those that you chose to. That has apparently changed over the years and you must give to all. Speaking with some of my younger co-workers they were surprised to learn that not everyone received an equal number of valentines,back in the day. It was a tough world I grew up in. Mom always encouraged me to give to everyone. I had to write them all out but I now confess not all made it to the classroom ! There were some I just didn't like.
We have all heard of St. Valentine but the real story is lost to time. There were several St Valentines  in fact. All were martyred. This happened back in the Roman times. Somewhere in history another Valentine was linked with romantic love. Valentines day was an official Catholic feast day. The Pope removed it from the Catholic calender in 1969. I didn't know that. But I don't practice Catholicism either.
In a round about way I guess you could say Valentines day has always been about love. In the beginning those that were martyred for the love of God. And in modern times the love between a man and a women, although that too might change,but I digress. At any rate the love you profess on St. Valentines day should be a love you are willing to die for. Now that I know the gravity of this situation I had best get to the Hallmark store,pronto !

No comments:

Post a Comment