Friday, February 3, 2012

A sweet obsession

There was a doctor on television discussing the obesity problem in America. Obviously a learned man he spoke with great knowledge and eloquence. He was explaining how the body metabolizes sugar. It was his contention that it is sugar that is in the forefront of this weight issue. I was listening closely and he had me engaged fully until he made this statement, " the government should regulate the sale of sugar just as they do drugs and alcohol ! "
Did I hear that right ? I find myself leaning toward the set to be sure I heard that right. Yes,that is what he said alright.
At this point he lost all creditably with me. Must be some kind of nut. Regulate sugar ? Why not regulate Twinkies and ice cream. I get what he was trying to say. We do tend to go a little overboard with sugar and all the products it is a part of. America does have a sweet tooth. But to suggest the solution is government intervention is just ridiculous. I have never heard of anyone harming anyone while on a sugar high,except for kids driving their parents a little crazy. This gentleman spent some time making a point about government regulation of sugar. He was serious in this proposal.
Vision of sugar pushers came to mind. Hooded people hiding in the alleys, psst, want some sugar dude ? Lives ruined in pursuit of that granulated substance. White or brown and the ultimate prize 10X. I could see this was going to cause some serious problems should his proposal come to fruition.
I am baffled why anyone would think the government should try to regulate something like sugar. It is not an additive substance. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't effect your ability to drive or operate heavy machinery. Should you choose to consume more of it than is healthy whose fault is that ? Certainly it is not a failure on the governments part. Should the government issue ration coupons for big Macs ? Control those fatty foods. Why doesn't this man figure it is a personal responsibility to control your own dietary intake ? I just don't know. I do see more and more of this reaction though. It is the governments fault !
If people used the amount of time and energy it takes to find fault and applied it to finding a solution we would all be better off ! The government doesn't need to be involved .


1 comment:

  1. As a life-long sugar addict I think I might need to leave the country if that were ever to happen....

    ReplyDelete