Sunday, February 26, 2012

Getting Focused

I've got too many irons in the fire. For whatever reason I have gotten myself into more things than I can comfortably handle. Never much of a multi-tasker I find myself a bit flustered. I want to do it all. I have research to do for the historical society. That in of itself is quite a large project. I'm still working on the family tree. I've got this blog I enjoy writing and lately I've taken to composing poetry. All those things plus other projects that I have been putting off. I really need to regain focus.
Spring is just around the corner and with that comes a multitude of tasks. Yard cleanup, grass cutting, tilling and planting. I've promised to install the hot tub for my daughter in law as well. Makes me wonder just what is it I've done all winter.
It is just that I've had this burst of creativity lately. I have no explanation for it. Some of it comes from being inspired by others. Thanks to their encouragement I've been willing to put it " out there. " Either that or I've finally reached the age where I really don't care what people say about me. I've become comfortable in my own skin. OMG I'm growing up. Mom always said this would happen someday.
While I have been enjoying this little creative burst it has lead me to think about things a little differently. It has changed my thinking in regards to writers and poets. My parents never gave much credence to either as an occupation. As a result I was influenced to think that either of those as an occupation would have been less than a manly pursuit. It wasn't encouraged or taken seriously in my household. Dad thought it was effeminate, especially poetry. If the opposite had been true I can't help but wonder if I may have made a different career choice. Or at the least been a starving author ! Artists starve ,so why not authors ?
Well that is just speculation. I do need to concentrate more on the job at hand. I have committed to this history project and need to return to it. It is hard sometimes to stay on the trail and not wander off. Did I mention I started writing a book ? Got a few pages down already. Have to sit that aside for awhile if I'm ever going to get things finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment