Thursday, February 16, 2012

Clever

I love reading the advertising on products. Those that write it are so creative in their descriptions. They can made almost anything sound appealing. It is obvious that they go for the immediate impulse and sometimes rely on the fact that you may not think about what it actually says. Working in the grocery store it is food products that I remember the most but the same applies to everything. Here are a few of my favorites; Kitten Food, formulated for cats of all ages. That what it says right on the bag. Also have Adult Cat food and you guessed it, it is formulated for cats of all ages. There is a refrigerated coffee creamer that contains " no dairy products " but lists milk in the ingredients. I'm a little confused. Also have butter with calcium. Isn't butter made with milk ? Doesn't milk have calcium ? I know they have been adding vitamin D to milk for a number of years now, have they been taking out the calcium ? We have a half gallon carton of " juice " that shows a fresh orange hanging on a tree limb. The morning dew is dripping off it. In very fine print on the carton it says, " contains no juice." It is an orange drink Natural and artificial colors and flavorings ! I've always been a little nervous about those artificial flavors. It never says what it is they use to obtain those flavors but then again maybe I'm better off not knowing.
I was at the deli counter and they had cheese on sale. I told the lady I would like a pound of American cheese. She says, domestic or imported ? What part of American didn't you understand. If it is made somewhere else is it really American ? Of course you could say the same about Polish sausage I suppose. I am used to the white or yellow question but that imported one threw me off. And just when did they start with the white American cheese ? And is the cheese yellow and then made white or white and then made yellow ? And just how do they do that ?
You might be feeling a little sluggish. No problem you can buy five hour energy. This product promises you five hours of energy with no crash afterwards. You can work like crazy for five hours straight and not even feel tired after. Amazing stuff, those chemicals.
I see and read these things everyday. I always get amused by them. Products shouting the fact they are made with real cheese ! It says cheese spread on the label. Beef Jerky, contains beef and beef byproducts. There's a surprise.
Next time you are shopping read the labels. I'm sure you will get a chuckle or two. Those advertisers sure are clever. Skirting the truth. I'd love to see their profile page on Facebook ! LOL

1 comment:

  1. If you read (and understood) every ingredient in every item we buy, we'd starve to death! I say let's try to eat things that come with no ingredients labels...produce and stuff that is as fresh and organic as possible. All these ingredients come with other things we don't know about, called 'side effects'. Don't even get me started on medicines!

    ReplyDelete