Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Punishment

We have had a rash of break ins around Greensboro lately. The Post Office (twice) , the drug store,a restaurant, and a food store. A few other places as well. A total of about eleven burglaries. Big doings around these parts where we don't have much crime. The other day at 3:30 in the morning he was caught red handed. Taken into custody without incident. Going before the Judge a slew of charges were presented. Among them the break ins at the Post Office, a federal offense. He was released on his own recognizance. The reasoning ? No prior offense !
Call me a hardliner but that reasoning doesn't cut water with me. This person is a thief. He was caught red handed, dead to rights. No doubt about it. Not like it was an accident or something. He didn't just accidently break into the post office and take peoples mail. I fail to see why he is not being punished. The trial and sentencing will take a long period of time. We all know how that goes nowadays. In the meantime he is free to come and go as he pleases.
And so the message being sent is this, if it is your first offense, or a series of offenses committed for the first time, it is not as bad. We still trust you. Excuse me but my trust in you was broken the minute I discovered you were a thief ! You should have no expectations that it would be otherwise.
I don't know the details of the case. The reason he was breaking in and stealing things. I really don't care either. I am tired of making excuses for these misfits. If he wanted drugs, I don't care. Was it for money, I don't care. I will imprison you ! I will get your attention.
I see no point in making laws and not enforcing them. In this case there is no doubt. Why the hesitation ? It's alright, it is the first time he did this, at least that we know of. When he flees from justice will that also be the case ? Well, he never did that before !
We need to send a clear message to those that would commit crimes. You will be punished ! The first time, every time. I'm sick of these Judges afraid to pass Judgement. That's what your job is. Enforce the laws ! Like raising children a firm hand is required. If you don't have the intenstinal fortitude to do that you have no business on the bench,

No comments:

Post a Comment