Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reassigned

I was just sitting here listening to the morning news. All the usual fodder. Tax hikes, violence and someone in trouble for using a derisive term. Then I heard them talking about transgender people. I had heard some debate about whether to allow them to use public restrooms. I wondered how that was going to work. One proposition states they must have had " gender reassignment surgery. " OMG,  I've heard of that stuff but never thought I'd hear about it on the morning news. I'm no prude,  but really ?
The first thing that came to mind was the term gender reassignment. I realize it is a matter of faith but I know who "assigned " my gender. I really don't think you can reassign his choices. ( Or hers,if that is what you believe). There is an old saying, It isn't nice to fool mother nature. Really I'm just amused at these terms. The English language is a wonderful thing. To form such an apt description of such a "private " procedure. Sorry couldn't help myself.
I'm guessing you can reassign in  either direction. As a man that is a chilling thought. Subtraction is more difficult than addition. I can not fathom submitting to that procedure. I'm not even going to think about that anymore ! I do wonder how that works with your birth certificate. Are you issued another with the sex of child listed as reassigned ? Or are you issued another as an attachment to the original ? What about all your other credentials ? High school diploma,College degree,drivers license, etc. ? And if I see what I think may be a suspicious person in the restroom can I ask ? Excuse me, er Maam, have you been fully reassigned ? That could make for an uncomfortable situation. As a person that does Genealogy as a hobby this gender reassignment could become quite confusing. It would alter the census records too. John Doe had three daughters in 1956 but in 1976 two of them had been reassigned. Ummm.
The bottom line for me is simple. People are going to do whatever they feel they need to do. Should they decide to reassign themselves I really don't care. Whether or not you are transgender or homosexual matters little to me. As long as you leave me alone I don't have a problem with you. Making any overt gestures or remarks to me will result in a confrontation. I will let my feelings be known. Live and let live I say. As long as your choices only effect you I'm ok with that. When your behaviors effect others or in particular me, I will take action to correct the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment