Monday, February 13, 2012

A Silent Sentinel

Not long ago someone posted a picture of the lighthouse at Montauk Point, New York. It was an exceptional shot. Once again I was reminded what a lovely and scenic place the east end of Long Island can be. For a brief period in time I was transported. Back to the 1960's and my home there. Back to a time when these sights were a every day thing. Also sights you didn't see often because you weren't really looking.
Risking everything I copied this picture to my computer. I didn't see any copyright so I assume it was in the public domain. I put it on my computer as a desktop background. I even printed it and sent it to my sister. I didn't claim ownership or anything so I'm hoping that was okay.
Seeing that Lighthouse brought back another memory. Down to a place called Cedar Point there was an old lighthouse. I could remember seeing it as a kid. A large house,made of Granite,and the lighthouse rose out of one corner. It wasn't occupied and the light didn't function. The actual light had been moved to a steel structure a little father out in the bay. I recall looking at that place and thinking how cool it would be to live there. Surrounded by the bay and kept company by the gulls. I wasn't allowed to walk out there to where it stood. It was private property and not to be trespassed upon. This was back in a day when people actually respected this. I got to thinking about this lost light and realized how little I knew about it. So I googled it.
I quickly learned that cedar point was settled in 1651. The light,as it stands today,was built in 1868. The tower is forty feet high. It's light last shone from that tower in 1934. My Mom would have been five years old at the time.The purpose of this light was to guide ships into Sag Harbor. Primarily,whaling ships in it's heyday.
My own ancestors were whalers. I could imagine Great Great Grandfather Abraham seeing that light from the deck of his ship and being thankful to have made it home safely. Abraham made seven voyages around the horn in search of whales. These voyages lasted years and that solitary beacon signaled the end to the voyage. His brother Oliver also chased the elusive whales. How many of my ancestors passed this very same light I can not know. A good majority of them were baymen and would have passed this light. If only the granite could release it's secrets.
An effort has been started to renovate this historic lighthouse. The cost is high but the reward will be great. The interior was destroyed by fire set by vandals. The light needs to be replaced in the tower. I hope one day to see this light flicked on once again. A small piece of the past preserved. A reminder to man.

The silent sentinel, what secrets does it hold ?




1 comment:

  1. I am also a lighthouse lover and am very anxious to see the Cedar Point light restored! Its a beauty!

    ReplyDelete