Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Year

Happy New Year ! It is 2012. I actually stayed up and watched the ball drop at midnight. First time in a few years. Naturally I watched the festivities from Times Square.
They have artists from all areas represented. Pop,rock,jazz and whatever. The first " artist " I saw was a lady of color with blonde hair wearing what appeared to be costume out of a Jetson cartoon ! She was singing (sorta ) something about somebody's face. By all accounts it is a big hit ! Never heard of it. I'm just not too up on this hip hop music scene. If memory serves her name is Nikki Minaj or menagerie,something like that. It was different I'll give it that. Following that performance was Justin Beiber doing a duet with Carlos Santana. Now I know Carlos from way back. An excellent guitarist,considered one of the best by some. I have heard of this Beiber character but can't say I know anything of him. He was playing the piano. I'll give him credit for that talent and in reality his singing wasn't bad. Carlos walked out on the stage about half way through the performance and just wailed away at that guitar. He can still play like crazy but what it had to do with what Justin Beiber was playing I don't know. It was kinda strange. The final act I witnessed was Lady GaGa ! I've seen her before but couldn't tell you the name of a single song she has recorded. That she would be dressed in an unusual fashion I was ready for. She didn't disappoint. She came out wearing what looked like a giant black light bulb shaped balloon thingy. Very strange and somehow a bit disturbing. She came out of that outfit during the show and was at one point wearing a skeleton of support wires like a cage around her. That got removed too. Very strange.
The venerable Dick Clark was there. It has been forty years for him. Did my old heart good to see him still plugging away. He was joined by Lady GaGa in pushing the button to start the ball drop. Ryan Seacrest has taken Dicks' place but it definitely isn't the same. What is his claim to fame ? Host of American Idol or something wasn't it ? Whatever. Some gal named Jenny McCarthy was polling the crowd. No clue who she is or how she got the job.
Well it is a new year. A new beginning. We all hope for it to be a good one. We all hope the Mayans' didn't know what they were talking about. I stayed up to watch the new year in but should have just gone to bed. Wasn't much of interest for me to watch. It all just left me wondering ? Is this where we are headed ? God help us. God help us,everyone to paraphrase Tiny Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment