Sunday, January 15, 2012

Something Old,Something New

My Grand daughter is nine years old now. Growing up too fast. Wearing her skinny jeans and sporting the latest fashions. She enjoys getting all dressed up in her pretty dresses. Lip gloss and earrings. She has been taking dance for a few years now and is a Girl scout. The time is flying by.
I like to make things for the kids. I especially like to make something I would like them to keep for years to come. One Christmas I made Mark,my Grand son, a treasure box. He keeps it on his dresser and puts small treasures like sports medals or trading cards in it. I'm hoping he keeps it for many years and enjoys it long after I'm gone. That's the type of thing I'k talking about. The other day I asked my wife if girls still have hope chests. She said,I don't think so. Then I asked at what age would you give a girl a hope chest ? Another uncertain response. I have asked my daughter in law too. She says she hasn't heard of anyone doing that among her friends. Has this become a thing of the past ? It is no longer politically correct to assume a girl will get married ? Has this tradition gone by the wayside ?
I haven't raised girls so I have no first hand experience. Have they changed so much in their goals ? Do not young ladies dream of their Prince Charming. Do they not fantasize about getting married one day ? I figured girls like to collect stuff for that " special " day. I confess I haven't a clue what a lady would keep in her hope chest. I imagine it has to do with whatever she is hoping for ? ( cymbal clang ,lol ).
The big question is, are hope chests something that are real or something from the distant past that are more legend than fact ? I don't think my sister had one. My wife didn't have one. I can't say I know anyone that has. Not that I should have known.
Well I was thinking about building Morgan a hope chest. Now I need to rethink the whole idea. A jewelry box just doesn't seem special enough to me. Overdone. When I graduated high school the local furniture store gave each girl graduate a mini hope chest. They were still in fashion then. I guess times have changed. I suppose buying her a silver service or china is out of the question too ! Merry Maids and home delivery of food has replaced the traditional wife. I guess girls don't need to hope anymore. There is always internet dating ! Match.com


3 comments:

  1. A blast from the past - I still have mine somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I was never given a small hope chest from Diamond's. I didn't own a real chest of any sort, but I did receive gifts at different points in time before I was married that would be used when I DID get married. My girls had actual cedar chests in which to keep their home items before they were out on their own. My granddaughter is 18, and her mother was looking for a cedar chest for her Hope chest. Yes, Ben...girls are still looking to get married, and some parents...most, I think, expect that at some point, our girls WILL be married (to a prince...or a frog, whichever they choose!) But...it is not unreasonable to offer a chest that you've made to your granddaughter. She WILL someday have a home of her own...even if she doesn't become a bride! Go for it, I say!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, As Kathleen's daughter, I can honestly tell you that hope chests are still a desired item. My daughter is the 18 year old that wants one. I still haven't found one for her that I can afford but I am looking. I know that she would have cherished it all the more if her grandfather had made her one before he passed away. Please don't rethink it. Give your granddaughter something you have made and if it seems oldfashioned let her know that you made it for her to keep treasures in.... things for now and things for later. I am sure she will love it if for no other reason than that you made it.

    ReplyDelete