Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just a glimpse

I was walking along the other day when I noticed this person in the window. Just a quick glimpse. The same height and weight as I but with a chicken neck and gray hair. I stopped short and took a closer look. OMG it was me. I was looking at my reflection ! Is that the way others see me ? Did I catch a glimpse through anothers' eyes ? Whatever the case it was a telling moment. I'm aging ! And worse,it shows. Well,there is nothing to be done about it. Time and tide wait for no man. I was surprised to find that I am a little bit vain. I have never thought of myself as being a vain person. I have never worked out,colored my hair or done anything along those lines. I have never been particularly concerned with the clothes I wear or fashion in general. So this was a bit of a revelation. I'm still learning about myself. It's a process I suppose.
Funny I hadn't  noticed that in the bathroom mirror. Nor did I notice it in pictures. Must be some sort of tunnel vision. Similar to listening to yourself sing. You know you don't sound that bad. But then again no one is asking you to sign a recording contract either.
If would interesting if you were recorded without your knowledge. More interesting, if it could be played back to you without you realizing it was you. If you could just look and listen. What sort of judgement would you make ? How would you see that person ? What could you learn from that ? All these questions are interesting. I wonder what changes,if any,would be wrought. Just how do others see you ? And maybe, more importantly, what do you sound like. Not the tone of your voice, but the words that you speak. Are you saying what you are thinking ? Is the meaning clear ? And what about your own listening skills ?  I'm not sure I  want to know the answers to all that. Ignorance is bliss. The truth can be painful.
I think the truth of the matter is that we already know those answers. It is the acceptance of the truth that is the real barrier. How many of us can be one hundred percent truthful,even with ourselves. No one wants to admit faults within themselves. We protect ourselves in that fashion. Some of us more than others. Vanity and pride. We can become comfortable with ourselves but being satisfied is another matter altogether. We make excuses and formulate explanations. Some go to extremes to try to retain their own self image. Others just quit on it altogether.
I caught a quick visual and was a bit surprised. Can the same happen with my speech and behavior ? I hope so. The truth is always a good thing. Don't they say Truth is stranger than fiction ? The real deal is what do you do with the truth ? Acceptance and tolerance should be the result. 

1 comment: