Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thoughts on Life

Everyone has a purpose in this world. Some achieve greatness and glory. Others make amazing contributions to society. There are teachers, firefighters, police officers, poets, and some just inspire the soul. Some find their path early in life and others never do. Some strive for the goal and others have it thrust upon them. And with others it just seems to come their way naturally.Whatever the case each of has a purpose. I think knowing and accepting that purpose is the key to happiness. Notice I did not say the key to wealth but the key to happiness. And what is happiness ? A contentment.A contentment with yourself and those around you that you love. If you have that,you are happy.
In my 58 years I have been down a few different paths. First as a member of the U.S.Navy. Did that for twenty years and retired. I didn't retire a war hero or anything. I didn't rise through the ranks to achieve greatness. In fact there was nothing particularly outstanding about it. Just doing my job. Then I was in the manufacturing business. Worked for a major company as their maintenance mechanic. Did welding,fabricating,electrical work and a host of other manly pursuits. Had dirty fingernails and smelled of grease. Wore steel toes boots and coveralls. Following that I got a job with the town. Drove dump trucks,back hoes and tractors. Dug big holes in the streets and repaired water lines. Pushed snow in the winter months and cut grass on an industrial level. Operated the towns' sewer plant and water system.
And now I'm back to a job I had when I was in high school. Working at the grocery store. Stocking shelves and such. I often laugh throughout the day as a commercial comes to mind, " I pick things up and set them down ". That's pretty much what I do. But I'm happy.
I think I know what my purpose in life is. I'm the filler. Mostly unnoticed. A necessary ingredient in the stew of life. Not the meat and potatoes but more like the seasoning. I'm here to add a little zest. Too much of me can be overpowering and too little is bland. Yup,I'm just part of the mix. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment